Thoracic Aortic Aneurysm Surgery
A thoracic aortic aneurysm is an abnormal bulge in the weakened wall of the aorta in the chest area, that can lead to a number of problems that can be life-threatening. Serious risks can be eradicated with timely diagnosis and treatment of thoracic aneurysm.
According to studies, the lack of information and awareness have led to a large number of deaths caused due to untreated large thoracic aneurysm of aorta. But, once detected at an early stage we can easily resolve it with proven set of surgical procedures and medical management, here is how:
To decide the best treatment for thoracic aneurysm of the aorta we follow a number of procedures that depends on its size and rate of its growth, location and your overall health.
If a thoracic aneurysm is small and cause no symptoms, we can put you under observation and start treating your condition using medicine.
- Close monitoring of aneurysm with CT or MRI scans every 6 months.
- Blood pressure medication to control high-blood pressure and decrease pressure on the weakened area of the aneurysm.
- Restriction of some physical activities.
The decision to treat a thoracic aneurysm with surgery is determined by a number of symptoms, like
- If aneurysm is growing more than 1 centimeter (cm) per year.
- Signs of an aortic dissection
- Age of patient and patient’s overall medical condition.
How is a thoracic aortic aneurysm treated with surgery?
The current standard surgical treatment of a thoracic aortic aneurysm is open heart approach. The main purpose of open-chest surgery it to treat thoracic aneurysm to replace the weakened portion of the aorta with a fabric tube called graft.
We can help you in repairing a thoracic aneurysm which is a surgical complicated process. The condition should now be neglected.
To help ensure the best results of a thoracic aneurysm surgery, you will undergo a through preoperative evaluation to check for atherosclerosis that is hardening of the arteries that damages the artery walls.
- Screening of left ventricular
- Ultrasound Examination
- Pulmonary Function Testing using a spirometer
- Endocardiography for Aortic Valve involvement
- CECT Scan for chest.
If ascending aorta and aortic valve are involved in Aneurysm or dissection, it requires a Bentall Surgery. Consult Dr. Kshitij Dubey now to get more information on your condition and suitable treatment.